An ancient settlement

09 July 2020
on the bank of Lake Tisza

Poroszló is an ancient settlement located on the right bank of the Lake Tisza. Anonymous, the famous historic writer, already mentioned that the conquering armies of Prince Árpád put up their camp near the Earthwork of Poroszló. The village received the country town title in 1445. The monastery of the settlement was destroyed during the occupation of the Turks, and they also demolished the church from the Árpád age; however, a reformed church (1793), and a Catholic church (1797) was built in its place later, with the latter one still used today and open for visitors as well